Sizzling Pork Recipes
Below is a selection of pork recipes, I've included one for sausages as the barbecue sauce accompaniment makes a welcome excuse to include them and anyway most children love them with or without the sauce!
This tasty pork recipe turns plain pork sausages into something much more interesting with the addition of the spicy barbecue sauce.
Sausages with Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients - Serves 4
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic< chopped
225g/8 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp brown fruity sauce
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
dash of Tabasco sauce
450/1 lb pork sausages
salt and pepper
1. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan and fry the onion and and garlic for 4-5 mins. until softened and just begining to brown.
2. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, brown fruity sauce, sugar, wine vinegar, chilli powder, mustard powder, tabasco sauce and salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil, check it.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-15 mins. until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Set aside and keep warm until required.
4. Barbecue the sausages for 10-15 mins. turning frequently. Do not prick with a fork or juices and fat will cause the barbecue to flare.
Serve the sausages in bread rolls accompanied by the sauce.
Pork and Sage Kebabs
Shaped into meat balls, these kebabs have a slightly sweet flavour that is popular with children.
Ingredients - Makes 12
450g/1lb pork mince
25g/1 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 small onion, chopped very finely
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 tbsp apple sauce
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Place the mince in a mixing bowl together with the breadcrumbs, onion, sage, apple sauce, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until all is well combined.
2. Shape the mixture into small balls and leave to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins.
3. Meanwhile, soak 12 small wooden skewers in cold water for at least 30 mins. Thread the meatballs on to the skewers.
4. To make the baste, whisk together the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl.
5. Barbecue kebabs for 8-10 mins. turning and basting frequently until meat is golden and cooked through.
Serve in small pitta breads lined with lettuce leaves and some plain Yogurt
Pork Chops with Honey Glaze
The ginger in this recipe gives a delicious tang to the glaze
4 lean pork loin chops
4 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp dry sherry
4 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp olive oil
<p.2.5cm/1 inch piece root ginger, grated
salt and pepper
1. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper to taste.
2. To make glaze, place the honey, sherry, orange juice, oil and ginger in a small pan and heat gently, stirring continuously, until all ingredients are well blended
3. Barbecue the chops on an an oiled rack for about 5 mins. each side.
4. Brush the chops with the glaze and cook for a further 2-4 mins on each side, basting frequently with the glaze.
This glaze works well with chicken portions or lamb chops as well as this pork recipe.
Return to home page from Pork Recipes
Go to chicken recipes
Go to beef recipes
Go to lamb recipes
Go to fish recipes
Go to vegetable recipes
Go to salad recipes
Go to dessert recipes
Go to barbecue recipes