Tasty Vegetable Recipes
Tasty vegetable recipes can be cooked on the barbecue so vegetarians need never feel left out. Many vegetables cook well on the barbecue and they taste delicious, they can be used for main courses or side dishes. Try the Spicy sweet potato slices or the colourful vegetable kebabs.
Spicy Sweet Potato Slices
Ingredients Serves - 4
450g/1 lb sweet potatoes
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp chilli sauce
salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add sweet potatoes and par-boil for 10 mins. Drain and transfer to a chopping board.
2. Peel potatoes and cut them into thick slices.
3. Mix together the oil, chilli sauce and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl.
4. Brush the spicy mixture liberally over one side of the potatoes. Place the potatoes, oil side down on the barbecue and cook for 5-6 mins.
5. Lightly brush the tops of the potatoes with the oil, turn them over and cook for a further 5 mins. or until crisp and golden.
Serve with meat or fish or with another vegetable recipe.
Char-Grilled Mixed Vegetables
Ingredients - Serves 4-6
8 baby aubergines (eggplant)
4 courgettes (zucchini)
2 red onions
75g/2 3/4 oz butter
2 tbsp walnut oil or other nut oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tbsp dry white wine or cider
1. To prepare vegetables, cut the aubergines (eggplant) in half. Trim and cut the courgettes (zucchini) in half lengthways. Thickly slice the onion and half the tomatoes.
2. Season all the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
3. To make the baste, melt the butter with the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and cook gently for 1-2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the wine or cider.
4. Add the vegetables to the pan and toss them in the baste mixture. You may have to do this in several batches to ensure that all of the vegetables are evenly coated with the baste.
5. Remove the vegetables from the baste, reserving any excess baste. barbecue the vegetables on an oiled rack for about 15-20 mins. basting with the reserved baste mixture and turning once or twice during cooking.
Serve sprinkled with balsamic vinegar.
This is a deliciously colourful vegetable recipe.
Ingredients - Serves 4
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 small onion
8 cherry tomatoes
100g/3 1/2 oz wild mushrooms
6 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
1. Cut the peppers into 2.5/1 inch pieces
2. Peel the onion and cut it into wedges, leaving the root end just intact to help keep the wedges together.
3. Thread the peppers, onion wedges, tomatoes and mushrooms on to skewers alternating the colours of the peppers.
4. To make the seasoned oil, mix together the oil, garlic and herbs in a small bowl. Brush the mixture liberally over the kebabs.
Barbecue the kebabs for 10-15 mins. brushing with th oil and turning frequently.
Return to home page from Vegetable Recipes
Go beef recipes
Go to lamb recipes
Go to pork recipes
Go to fish recipes
Go to salad recipes
Go to dessert recipes
Go to barbecue recipes